Saturday, November 2, 2013

Overview of English tenses

There are six tenses in English. However, with their continuous forms it makes twelve tenses in total. They are separated into three categories according to the time they refer to - the present, the past and the future. 
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as the table below makes it seem. For example, present perfect tense (1.3) does not actually refer to the present but rather to the past (in Czech, it would be usually translated just like past simple).
Anyway, this is just a brief overview and more thorough look at each of the individual tenses will be the subject of other posts in the future.

1. Present Tenses

1.1 Present simple – I walk

1.2 Present progressive – I am walking

1.3 Present perfect– I have walked

1.4 Present perfect progressive – I have been walking

2. Past Tenses

2.1 Past simple – I walked

2.2 Past progressive – I was walking

2.3 Past perfect – I had walked

2.4 Past perfect progressive – I had been walking


3. Future Tenses

3.1 Future simple – I will walk

3.2 Future progressive – I will be walking

3.3 Future perfect – I will have walked

3.4 Future perfect progressive – I will have been walking


No comments:

Post a Comment