Monday, November 18, 2013

English vocab #1

(disclaimer: This category of posts is designed to accumulate the terms I encouter on every-day basis and I'm not familiar with them OR I find them useful to put down for everyone to see. Some are phrasal verbs, some phrases, some idioms, some just various terms for things, etc. I'll try to always include the context of use.)

to mull over = to think about smth. deeply and carefully, to contemplate something
You don't need to decide right now. Mull it over and let me know in the morning.

to jump the gun = to do smth. hastily or before you were supposed to do (from racing - to start running without the starting signal)
I guess I jumped the gun on calling you a liar. It turns out you were right all along.

coming or going = to be very confused
I'm so busy I don't know if I'm coming or going.

to pick up (usually a girl or a woman) = To make casual acquaintance with, usually in anticipation of sexual relations
Me and my friend Tony are going picking up girls this Friday night.
also: pick-up lines (American) or chat-up lines (British) = common phrases used while picking up girls

spoon-feeding = to treat someone with too much care or help
A teacher shouldn't spoon-feed his students - they must be able to deal with the assignment on their own.

a greengrocer = a grocer who sells fresh fruits and vegetables

digress = to stray from a subject
You shouldn't digress when you are giving a lecture.

a heckler = someone who purposefully interrupts a public speaker with aggresive comments or pointless questions

No comments:

Post a Comment